Post by fxdtim on Jun 14, 2016 17:42:22 GMT -6
I've been using Bubbler GPS Pro for a few months now and have some feedback for you. I've used it on an Iron Butt ride and on a 16-day trip as well as a couple of day rides. There are a couple of issues I have with the performance that make the app less than ideal.
I have found that Bubbler stops working for reasons I can't determine. I may check it at lunch or a gas stop and find that the icon is not in the notification bar. There are gaps in the string of locations in a few days of history. I'm not aware of any error logging that might shed light on this issue.
My second concern has to do with the user interface.
Not enough information is presented at startup to assure me Bubbler is tracking. This is especially important to me when starting an Iron Butt Ride or a long day of travel.
Here is what I'd like to see:
Start the app.
The Update Now button is greyed out.
The Start button is greyed out and says "Starting."
Add new jewel between Settings and Internet with a caption, "Running." It should be red
1. Account validation successful - Good this is the message now presented.
2. GPS Acquired. - New information
3. Location Determined (or something similar) - New information
4. Location Sent - This is very important. I don't want to have to move 100 yards to see if the starting location has been sent, and I need the first location to be at the point where I start Bubbler. (Think in terms of documenting an Iron Butt ride.)
- At this point, if Bubbler isn't running properly, display an error message, otherwise,
5. The "Update Now" button turns green
6. The "Starting" button turns red and says, "Stop"
7. The "Running" jewel turns green.
8. The Bubbler icon appears in the notification bar - Good, that's current behavior.
If you don't want to automatically send the starting location, then let me send it by tapping "Update Now" and provide feedback that the location was sent successfully.
When returning to the app to stop it,
1. The red Stop button turns green and says, "Start".
2. The Update Now button turns grey.
3. The Running jewel turns red.
In sunlight it is difficult to see that the Bubbler icon in the notification bar has gone away when Bubbler stops. That's why it's important to have explicit status lights in the app.
I had a situation where the app wouldn't start running. The Settings jewel was yellow. I tapped it and the first two jewels in the list were green. Nothing was red to indicate a problem area. I never did figure out the problem and closed the app. When I went back a couple of hours later, everything was OK. I think access to some diagnostic logging would be helpful.
I hope you like these ideas and will incorporate them in a new release.